Fire breaks out at UH dorm

September 3, 2009 4:29:15 AM PDT
A dorm at the University of Houston was evacuated overnight when a fire broke out.It happened about 11:45pm inside Bates Hall on Wheeler and Cullen. The Houston Fire Department was called out and found smoke coming from the dorm building.

They say the culprit for the fire was an electrical outlet. The building was already evacuated of its students by the time crews arrived.

"It was an electrical outlet that had burned up, pretty much just smoke in the building," said Sr. Captain Oscar Sanchez with the Houston Fire Department. "We put up our ventilation fans and blew all of the smoke out. It was a pretty easy fire."

There were no major injuries, but one student was treated on the scene for smoke inhalation. That same student had tried to use a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

Students were allowed back in the dorm once all the smoke was out of the building.

      QUICK HEADLINES | MORE LOCAL | GET NEWS ALERTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABC13 SOCIAL NETWORKING
Find us on Facebook® | Follow us on Twitter | More social networking
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORE FROM ABC13
ABC13 widget | Most popular stories | Street-level weather
ABC13 wireless | Slideshow archive | Help solve crimes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Load Comments