Woman dies in fire at Hitchcock home

July 29, 2009 1:41:14 PM PDT
One person is dead after a fire that investigators say was started by a young child Wednesday in Hitchcock. According to Hitchcock police, two women and two children -- ages 2 and 4 -- were in a trailer when the four-year-old child put a pencil in a lit candle. That pencil caught fire and the child put it up to the air conditioner to cool it off.

Ambers flew from the pencil and caught something else on the trailer on fire and the flames spread from there.

The mother of the children was able to get herself and the two kids out of the home. But the other adult woman, who had been on a couch inside the trailer, never made it out.

The name of the victim isn't being released at this time. The Hitchcock Fire Department has ruled this fire accidental.

      QUICK HEADLINES | MORE LOCAL | GET NEWS ALERTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABC13 SOCIAL NETWORKING
Find us on Facebook® | Follow us on Twitter | More social networking
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORE FROM ABC13
ABC13 widget | Most popular stories | Street-level weather
ABC13 wireless | Slideshow archive | Help solve crimes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Load Comments