Coast Guard suspends search for swimmer

March 27, 2009 8:44:35 AM PDT
The Coast Guard says it has suspended a search for an Arkansas man who went under as he swam in rough waters of the Gulf of Mexico about 40 yards from shore. [SIGN UP: Get headlines and breaking news sent to you]

Galveston Island Beach Patrol Chief Peter Davis said 28-year-old Tony Blocker of Maumelle, Ark., disappeared about 3 p.m. Tuesday.

On Thursday, the Coast Guard said it had suspended its search after battling rough seas and bad weather for several days, with no sign of the missing man. A news release said the agency had searched using a helicopter, a 47-foot power boat and the 87-foot Coast Guard cutter Manta.

On Wednesday, Davis said Blocker was visiting the island with his girlfriend and others. Davis said Blocker's girlfriend had been in the water with him when the heavy waves came, but was able to make it back to shore.

      Headline check | 100 most recent local stories | News alerts
            Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Help solve crimes


Load Comments