Generator fire injures two teenagers

September 23, 2008 5:15:46 AM PDT
Two teenagers suffered second degrees burns in a generator fire last night.ROAD TO RECOVERY: Breaking news on Ike | School closings | Person locator | Important phone numbers | Assistance from FEMA | Filing a claim | Latest power numbers

It happened on Possum Creek near Pine Creek Southeast Houston. The brother and sister were home alone when the family's generator sparked the fire. The back wall of the house caught fire and flames spread to the upstairs bedroom and attic.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, they quickly knocked down the flames. Firefighters warned again how dangerous generators can be.

"When you run out of a gasoline in a generator and it had been running for a while the motor has built up a lot of heat," said Ricky Hoppas with the Houston Fire Department. "When you're trying to fill up, you really need to be careful. You need to let the motor cool down before you even attempt to put in gasoline."

The teens were taken to Ben Taub Hospital. It is not clear if they got their burns trying to put out the fire, or escaping the house.

Keep your family safe this hurricane season. Check our complete tropical weather preparation guide


Load Comments