Labs evacuated after chemical reaction

August 26, 2008 9:14:21 PM PDT
Campus police say students were evacuated from the nanotechnology labs at the University of Texas at Arlington after an accidental chemical reaction. UTA Assistant Police Chief Rick Gomez said one student was overcome with fumes and was treated and released at the scene Tuesday evening.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported in its online edition that Gomez said a student accidentally mixed hydrochloric and sulfuric acid, and the fumes from the chemical caused the lab alarms to sound about 7:30 p.m.

Gomez said four or five students were in the lab when the alarms sounded.

          State News Channel | 100 most recent Texas stories
        Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Headlines at a glance


Load Comments