Barbecue pit blamed for apt. fire

May 26, 2008 10:42:25 AM PDT
A few people in west Houston grilled more than burgers. They accidentally set their apartment complex on fire. Residents had been grilling on their second floor balcony Sunday evening at a complex on Kempwood at Campbell. They left the still smoldering barbecue unattended after they finished cooking. Somehow the wooden balcony floor caught fire.

"We found what was left of a small barbecue pit where the fire started," HFD District Chief Fred Hooker.

The entire complex wall was on fire before anyone realized there was a problem. Firefighters arrived around 1am and put out the blaze. Four units were damaged in the fire.

No one was injured in the fire. However, one of the residents who had been grilling did have to jump through a window to escape the fire.

- Headlines at a glance


Load Comments